Monday, March 28, 2011

Birthdays

I've had one of the best birthdays ever this year.  I asked my friends to wear purple and tag me with their pictures of themselves in purple on my facebook page.  I got tons of pictures.  And even more people messaged me that they too were wearing purple.  I asked it for a reason, for epilepsy awareness.  But it was really so much fun.  My husband was helping his best friend move that day, which I totally supported because Mike had helped us move when we bought our house.  I was fine with it.  David didn't get home until after 7, but he picked up dinner at the Candlelight Inn and a bottle of Spumante on his way home.  We sat and watched Mildred Peirce, which he never would watch without it being my birthday and ate our dinner (mine was the biggest t-bone steak I've ever seen, and I could only eat half of it) and drank our wine.  Then the next morning we took the boys to his sister, and we went to see The King's Speech, which was my choice.  And then we had dinner with David's sister and family.  And they gave me a beautiful bracelet.  All in all, it was just wonderful!

It has started me thinking of previous birthdays.  I remember waking up one birthday morning to find the family room covered in balloons.  I don't remember how old I was.

My tenth birthday was in Florida at Disney World.  I bought myself the stuffed rabbit my sister wanted to buy me.  I got my ears peirced.  I got lost at Cyprus Gardens.  It was a fun vacation.

And there was my 11th birthday.  I was awakened by a noise at 11 pm the night before.  Both my parents were in my room.  My mother pounced on me and said everything was okay.  My father dropped something on his hand and cursed.  I sat up and turned on the light.  There it was...my very first stereo turntable.  Yeah, I'm that old.  Shut up.  I also got a copy of the Greece album.  YES, I ALREADY ADMITTED I AM THAT OLD; SHUT UP!  It was brand new at the time. 

My twelfth birthday party was held at the bowling alley.  Me and my friends and my little sister.  My mother said we all talked about where babies came from and how we WERE NEVER going to do that.  And Tammy, my little sister, said she couldn't wait.  My mother knew she was in trouble then.

My thirteenth birthday was a surprise party.  My father's birthday was 3 days after mine.  Connie Worrell, a lifelong friend, had been my science partner in the science fair, and we won at the school level and were competing that night at the regional level at the community college.  We came in third.  It didn't really occur to me that it was odd that my mother was not there to cheer me on.  Connie's mother took us.  When we got back to my house I asked why were there all those cars?  Connie whispered that it was a surprise party for me and my daddy.

By my fourteenth birthday, it had all gone to hell.  I didn't even want Mama and Daddy in the same room as each other anymore.

The night before my 21st birthday, I went out with Aleca.  She was having problems with her now ex-husband, and had moved home with her parents, but it was before they had the twins, so the divorce was years off.  But she and I went to Fredericksburg to the mall.  She told me she wanted my opinion on something, she had a friend she wanted to buy a gift for but couldn't make up her mind.  She took me to a jewelry kiosk.  I don't remember the choices, but I told her I thought the turquoise and silver earrings were beautiful.  She agreed and bought them and then turned and handed them to me.  Happy Birthday.  I was completely taken by surprise.  Seriously.  I know I should have seen it coming, huh?  Anyway, we went back home and ended up in a restaurant/bar, where my mother and stepfather were spending the evening at just minutes before midnight.  The doorman took my ID and laughed and said to wait for 10 minutes to order a drink and let me in.  I did.

Four years ago, when Jimmie was a baby and still on ATCH, my friend Liz came out to visit us around my birthday.  It wasn't the day exactly, but I wanted a digital camera for my birthday.  And David had said I could have one, so we went shopping at Walmart so I could pick one out.  I picked out a less expensive camera but deeply admired the Sony CyberShot.  Liz stood there with her head cocked to one side and said, "If money wasn't the issue, which one would you want?"  Yeah, I'm stupid.  Once again I didn't get it.  I said the CyberShot.  She told the guy at the counter, "She'll take that one."  My jaw dropped as she handed him her card.  She looked like she had swallowed a canary.  Cat imagery in case you missed it.

And then there is this year.  My family and friends all wore purple and sent me pictures.  It was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment