Thursday, June 21, 2012

Well that hit me up side the head like a ton of bricks!

Today is one of those days.  I have mixed feelings.  On one hand, I am happy that my son is getting to go to pre-school and that we are giving him every opportunity to excel.  On the other hand, I feel like someone just punched me in the gut.  Cognitive delays?  Really?  I was only concerned about his speech being a little hard to understand.  But I never imagined that his social skills were delayed.  I never imagined that his cognitive skills were delayed, that he was too easily distracted.  And that his speech was in fact fine.  I'm at a loss.  Charlie's so smart.  He grasps what I think to be complex concepts.  He has a very active imagination.  He loves his books.  He is compassionate.  He is loving.  And potty training him was a breeze!  He caught on immediately.  It took a bribe to get him to use the potty for bm's, but once he got that, he has been perfect.  He never has an accident.  Never.  His gross motor skills are advanced.  Where did this come from?  How did I miss it?  Granted, I don't have a normally developing child to compare him to.  Compared to his brother, Charlie is miles ahead.  But still.  I just didn't see it coming. 

I really thought that we would walk into the Parent/teacher meeting and be told that Charlie did not need pre-school. 

He is excited about it.  He is ready to learn.

And he does need the social interaction.

But still... I just don't know how to feel.  I almost feel like I am failing him somehow.

Silly, I know.  I mean, I am the one who asked for the evaluation, so I must have had some inkling, some tickle, other than knowing that his brother is so far behind and being overly cautious.  And I am the one who followed through and took him for evaluation, even though I was telling myself it was a waste of time.  I am the one sending him to pre-school as a result.  I am the one giving him everything I can to help him.  But I still feel like I have failed him.

I'll get over it.  It's a selfish feeling.  Time to be selfless for my youngest boy too.

1 comment:

  1. I have recovered, and I think Charlie just had a bad assessment. He's a typical 3 year old through and through. I'll still send him to pre-k, but I am not worried.

    ReplyDelete